How do I update Exodus?
Updating your Exodus wallet is an essential part of keeping your crypto assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum & others safe. If you are worried about losing funds during the update, ensure you have written down your 12-word secret recovery phrase.
In this article:
- Update Desktop
- Update Mobile
- Why should I update Exodus?
Exodus makes updating easy. Anytime you open Exodus, your wallet will check and notify you if an update is available. Simply click Update Now! when prompted and Exodus will take care of the rest.
Once Exodus finishes downloading the latest version, click Restart Now. Exodus will restart and prompt you for your password.
Please note: This update feature is not available for Linux at this time. Linux users will need to update Exodus manually as described below.
Manual update process
If you are running an older version of Exodus, you will not see the update prompt. If you do not see the prompt, you can follow these steps to update your Exodus wallet:
- Quit Exodus if it is running.
- Download the latest Exodus release available at our website.
Windows Double-click on the downloaded package to run the installer. Here is a video guide to help. macOS Double-click the disk image then drag Exodus onto the applications folder, overwriting the old version. Here is a video guide to help. Linux
Download and unzip the new version and replace the existing installation with the new one. For Debian-based distributions, you can update your Exodus by installing with .deb package like you did for the first time following this written guide to help.
Another way to update your Exodus wallet on a Debian-based distribution is through the command line. This must be done as an administrator (i.e. sudo). In this case, you will need to locate where you downloaded the new version using the command line, then use the following command (where the XX's are replaced with the version of Exodus you downloaded):
sudo dpkg -i exodus-linux-x64-XX.XX.XX.deb
Please note: Installing a new version and overwriting an old version is safe. Exodus keeps your wallet data in a separate location.
How do I enable auto-updates?
If you turn on auto-updates, your Exodus wallet will remain up-to-date automatically!
- a) Click the Settings icon, then b) click Personalize.
- Then toggle on the auto-update feature to automatically install updates on the next startup.
To update your Exodus wallet mobile app, all you need to do is go to the App Store or Google Play store, depending on your device:
Why should I update Exodus?
- We release security patches from time to time in order to better protect you from the latest vulnerabilities.
- New assets are added as our team is always working on adding more and more assets inside Exodus.
- Additional security features are added inside the wallet.
- Additional third-party API exchange providers, exchangeable assets, etc. are added to the wallet.
- Feature improvements and bug fixes are added from time to time.